Author Topic: How many characters?  (Read 3916 times)

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
How many characters?
« on: December 11, 2010 01:13 pm CST »
How many are we allowed to log on with at a time. I remember when it was one but remember it later being bumped up to two. Tried looking it up in the rules but the link to them is no longer functional. All that is still up is the old outdated ones. We are seeing people triple logging (maybe more). I'm just curious.
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.
4th in doghouse. Last in actual server and forum rules broken.
Quote from: HUBBA
I kinda miss Evil's lengthy post.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
Re: How many characters?
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2010 01:53 pm CST »
After posting the thread, I found this.
http://forums.pcrpg.org/index.php/topic,5455.0.html
Section 1, Subsection M - Double Logging
New Rule
Double logging has recently been allowed. The characters cannot be used to power level or power rank. In the event of a full server, double logged players should remove one character.
If you are active on one character, the secondary character is considered AFK and will be treated as such. You double log at your own risk.

The Lag Limit
The server appears to lag a lot once the player count hits 19+. In response to this, if the server has 18 players or more, players are asked to remove one of their two characters to make room for more players.
PKs/Admins, please ask for volunteers to drop. If none are found, to promote fairness, all double logged characters should be asked to leave.

Now it does not specifically SAY you cant have more then 2 characters But this is what I remembered seeing that I felt implied it.
The only original member of the server still active and the staunchest supporter of the administration and Particle's rules.

JaiLHouSe

• PCRPG Peacekeepers
  • Orc Thrasher
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2010 06:32 pm CST »
i dont see how having 3 really hurts anything, as long as they are not power ranking, but as the rules say...if things start to get super laggy or crowded, then those extra characters should start to disconnect.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2010 11:45 am CST »
I don't really care how many players you have on concurrently so long as you aren't interacting between them for gain (power leveling, power ranking, etc).  Those things should only be done among real players.  I do care, however, if the server starts to get full.  Beyond that knock yourself out.  We'll let you know if it becomes a problem.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

Riddle

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2010 04:32 pm CST »
I just think we should stick with two characters, since there are only 2 main zones. They become occupied fairly quick, especially when other players decide to lvl other characters.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2010 04:34 pm CST by Riddle »

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2010 05:35 pm CST »
Riddle has a point. One person hogging 3 or 4 or 5 (even 2 zones can be a pain if someone else wants to level) of the zones with characters is an issue far more often then lag.
We have started to build up a large enough player base that zones are in high demand again. I think that was why we used to be limited to a single character on the server and then when it was upped to two, we started having issues with zones and "player drama" caused by competition for the zones.
Personally, I would prefer a single character per player and two at the most. Not my call though. As always, I defer to Particle's (or the admins) judgment.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2010 08:46 pm CST »
What I said includes the same thing.  If things start to get full, it becomes a problem.  You should defer to real players.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2010 09:20 pm CST »
it really is a problem i gave up leveling because of this shizit
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.

Riddle

• Gnoll Fighter
« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2010 01:00 am CST »
Thing is, people won't follow it as its not made official and no one is enforcing it. The only person I've seen enforce it has been Astal, and even when he is enforcing it, they whine at him for doing it. I'm sure most players are annoyed by it also. With not many zones available to us, shouldn't it be top priority (considering your to busy to make new zones) to make the zones contain a small amount of people by limiting the characters playable?

Wow Shorty, and here I thought you gave up because you wanted to annoy us.

EVIL_INC

• Elvin Legion
« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2010 06:24 am CST »
When it is brought up (and Astal is not on) that one person is using up 2 or 3 zones with their characters (or are afk in 2 or 3 zones) and a lowbie who is actually at their computer with only a single character on the server ask them to drop one or something, they are either ignored because the person with the 2 or 3 characters is afk or told to *expletive* off, they dont have to because the rules say they dont.

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2010 10:40 am CST »
^ That's a problem with enforcement, not the rule.

TehPope

• Goblin Pup
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2010 12:46 pm CST »
For the record... The B's, Jail, And Astal/Bungies have all been more then willing to share zones or leave one for me when they see me wandering with no place to level, oftentimes I dont even have to ask anyone.

JUST a FYI.. Tho if they are afk I could see how thatwould be an issue, but ive never had a problem.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2010 12:49 pm CST by TehPope »

Toby

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2010 12:18 pm CST »
This brings me to a question If i bring the bot back, would that be considered 'power leveling' if i use it to heal my alternative characters in zones?

ShortStuff102

• phpBB REGISTERED
  • Undead Hero
« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2010 07:09 pm CST »
what are you retarded no its only when you kil lthat character for exp
They used to call me Shorty, now they call me herpes, i keep coming back.