Author Topic: New Phone  (Read 6557 times)

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
New Phone
« on: December 25, 2011 05:17 pm CST »
I'm getting a new phone. Motorola Atrix 2. 4G HSPA+ (not the faster LTE technology), $100 from AT&T. Plus an extra $25/mo for 2GB of data. That's a total of $700 over the next two years for the phone plus the plan.

Trevor suggests waiting a year for the quad core phones to come out. I disagree.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011 05:32 pm CST by KoRo »

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
Re: New Phone
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011 05:38 pm CST »
Edit: Btw, I'm Trevor...Koro is Josh...If that wasn't entirely clear...It wasn't to me when I looked at the forums.

I suggest that he instead keep the only cell phone he has ever had, wait for quad cores to show up and stomp our technology into the ground. My first computer I gamed on was a 450mhz PII with a 16mb video card...I played TRPG on that sucker til July 2005 and upgraded to a p4 3.0ghz with a 128mb vid card...May 2008 I upgraded again to a gaming rig I dumped like $1800 into...Don't worry about the stats...Anywho...Phones are getting up there now, I have a G2X which was the first dual core 1ghz (OC to 1.4ghz) phone on the market with Nvidia Tegra2 chip (8 gpu cores*)Half a gig of DDR3 with 8gb of room with a 32gb(64?) capable microsd slot...(Thats what I has, I think it might go to 64)...These suckers are being upgraded so fast right now they are about to cap out on noticeable differences in speed...My dual core is overkill, imagine a learning curve for humans based on computer spec increases...Versus time...We're at that point in the map when computers went crazy stupid fast...Another year along the map is like breaking the speed of light...Or dividing by zero, playing "the game"...etc..etc... I end my argument simply by stating that this will consume Josh's every waking moment if he gets a smart phone...Thus ending any chance of him getting laid by some random piece he doesn't know how to say hi to at the Starbucks...Or bar... :P Hahahahaa oh I love high rambles.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011 05:45 pm CST »
Wait...I thought my dinosaur of a phone was what was keeping me from getting laid in the first place!

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011 05:49 pm CST »
Nooo...It's keeping you from being a whore...Getting laid is your own thing...Poor hobos with no showers get random poontang, with no phone.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011 05:52 pm CST »
Well at least I will be able to flirt while on the go with my smartphone...
« Last Edit: December 25, 2011 05:54 pm CST by KoRo »

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #5 on: December 25, 2011 05:53 pm CST »
Bring a pen and a little notebook with you everywhere!!! It's so much more convenient than you think...OH and if you don't wanna buy tons of shirts, invest in a pocket protector ;)

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #6 on: December 25, 2011 05:59 pm CST »
Are you trying to sabotage my effort?

Back on topic: Will there be a noticeable difference between 4G* and 4G LTE?

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #7 on: December 25, 2011 06:01 pm CST »
LTE = Long Term Evolution...Hardware is all set up to keep up with signal speed increases on the same spectrum. So LTE is going to take over...But as well, the frequency TV used to be broadcast on is going to be converted into high speed wireless internet across a broader range and with more bandwidth (supposedly)...Anywho...LTE will ensure you are keeping up with bandwidth.

bungle

• Undead Hero
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2011 06:03 pm CST »
I have the first Atrix. It works fine. I've had no problems running anything on it. It's too forking expensive monthly though.
"If you dont like it, go play kirby air ride."

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2011 06:07 pm CST »
How much you pay? And who's your carrier?

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2011 06:09 pm CST »
Oh btw Josh, 2gb of data is horribly limited...and I'm 95% sure you will upgrade to unlimited or 5gb...Google Music, Pandora, Netflix streaming ftw...I pay $84 a month (after taxes) for Unlimited Everything + Insurance, T-Mobile...Their network is HSPA+ (4g), but the hardware itself can run off AT&Ts LTE (providing a long term speed stabilizer)...Derp ^_^

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2011 06:14 pm CST »
I'm not going to use 4G data for Netflix, derp. That's what wifi is for. I'm not getting this phone with the intention of streaming music and movies everywhere, all the time. I'm getting it to take good pictures, occasionally send e-mails with attachments, and post on facebook. How much data do I really need?

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2011 06:19 pm CST »
Ok...Well you'll still end up over 2gb eventually and you'll hate the difference in price when you realize how little it costs to bump up to the next level and how much data costs per megabyte outside your limits ;)...You don't need a new phone...You're still alive aren't you?...Get ready to lose to the dark side indeed BWAHAHAHAHA

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2011 06:24 pm CST »
Im confused now. I thought going the smartphone route WAS the dark side...

Vorter_X_

• Centurian Lord
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2011 06:26 pm CST »
And buying a smart phone means you lose to the overwhelming power of the Dark Side...