Author Topic: Server down time this weekend (March 31)  (Read 2314 times)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
Server down time this weekend (March 31)
« on: March 28, 2012 09:32 am CDT »
Please note that there will be server down time this weekend due to the pending upgrade of our server hardware.  I've finished building the new box, and it will take time during the transition to move over all the databases, start up all the services, and configure the new firewall hardware for the new server hardware (both are being replaced).

The end result should be good, however.  The server we're on now is still a nice box, but I built it in 2008.  There are a few sub-systems that I've been wanting to improve for a long time, namely disk (need more & faster space), memory (need more than the 16 GB it has to run all the services I want), and CPU (we've got plenty of cores but would benefit from each core being faster).  The new hardware will address all of that.

In any case, please don't be surprised if services are unavailable for a few hours or so on Saturday.  You should enjoy the difference afterward, however.  The PCRPG server should be more stable with the new server's working real time clock for instance.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012 09:39 am CDT by Particle »
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

B2

• Undead Hero
Re: Server down time this weekend (March 31)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012 06:01 pm CDT »
I have a question, when will you be adding a new zone? :D

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012 07:23 pm CDT »
Very soon, as chance would have it.
As a point of history:  Our last server clear was on September 27, 2004.  That is 4963 days ago (13.6 years) as of today.

If you're visiting after a long hiatus and have forgotten your password, try emailing me via the support form at http://www.pcrpg.org.

If your character is from after the 2004 clear but appears to have been deleted or reset, chances are it was caught in one of the inactive account purges over the years.  Backups were made before such events, so try the support form.

B2

• Undead Hero
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012 12:49 am CDT »
Sweet.

Toby

• Orc Thrasher
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012 10:01 am CDT »
Hello God

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #5 on: April 2, 2012 12:01 am CDT »
The RPG server has been back up for about half of today--we didn't have many visitors heh.  Tell yours friends.  We're on SQL Server 2012 now, and the new board has a good chance of stopping this clock-work crash problem once and for all.  I'm sure anyone playing is familiar with it and will appreciate that.  :)

Particle

• Chief Codemonger
  • Administrator
  • Centurian Lord
    • Particle's Custom RPG
« Reply #6 on: April 4, 2012 05:56 pm CDT »
I'm pretty confident that the new server has fixed the routine Tribes crash entirely.  Days have passed and the only resets were ones I induced manually.

KoRo

• Fat, Emo Robot
  • Centurian Lord
« Reply #7 on: April 6, 2012 03:29 am CDT »
Hmm...and to think, the whole reason why I got a laptop was so I could play PCRPG at school, at work, when I'm out...I should hop back on sometime and get back to my AFK leveling.